Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Wife of bath prologue


The Wife of Bath can be desribed using three modern stereotypes: sex addict, control (power) freak, and a social butterfly (how she goes on and on with her story). I do not know exactly how I feel about the Wife of Bath sometimes I feel myself feeling sorry for her and at other times I laugh at the torture that she actually puts these guys through; it is as if she is punishing them for marrying her. What I do not understand is the many references she makes to the bible, God, Geneisis, the Saints, and so on. Is she a religious woman? Or is she trying to use these men from the Bible and their "many wives" in order to support the fact that just because she is a woman should not matter if she has had many husbands? I believe that using the bible serves as a justification to her actions: "I woot wel Abraham was an holy man/ And Jacob eek, as fertforth as I can/ And ech of hem hadde wyves mo than two" (61-63). I find it kind of humorous that she is a sex addict and the fact that she tortures her husbands to death until they give her what she wants: "An housbond shal it have, I wol nat lette/ Which shal be bothe my dettour and my thral" (160-161). She is saying that if she has to give her possesssions and her wealth to her husband than he must pay her in bed. I believe that based on her actions that she withholds her husbands pleasure and satisfaction in bed until they promise that they will give her money and anything that she desires. Do you think this is true? there is so much to say about the Wife of Bath, I believe that she learns from her mistakes and finally when she meets her last husband and actually loves him she is treated badly. I am still very confused whether her last husband is dead. She says, "Welcome the sixte, whan that evere he shall!/ For sothe I wol nat kepe me chast in al/ Whan myn housbond is from the world y-gon" (51-53). She states: When my husband is gone from the world. What do you guys think?




1 comment:

  1. I don't really know for sure what happened to him, like you. But I really believe that her last husband must have died in some way. I really don't see any other way she would be looking for a 6th husband, unless he wasn't dead. However, I don't think she tortured him like she did the other ones, telling him false things and making him go crazy. It seems like when she did marry him, she changed in the way she treated him, she didn't treat him like all her other husbands.

    ReplyDelete