Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Beowulf

This is my second time reading Beowulf. I read it in high school and the only thing I remember is that there was a dragon that got killed. To be honest, I couldn't remember if Beowulf was the monster,dragon or hero.
-I just read where Grende; is attacking Herot. My question is what took so long for help to come. It's not clear whether the king sent for help to get rid of Grendel. Twelve years (I'm interpreting the twelve winters meant years.) went by before anything was done. Imagine the lives that could have been saved.
-Beowulf is kind of conceited. He has not seen Grende, but is so sure he will defeat the monster.
-Was confused at first when the poem referred to Sigemund. Now I see they are comparing Beowulf to Sigemund. Both were seen as true warriors and loved by everyone.
-The king makes a beautiful speech thanking Beowulf. To me Beowulfis stilling being conceited.He had to go on about what he wanted to do to Grendel. Everyone was just happy the monster was dead.
-Wow! I truely didn't remember Grendel's mom. Beowulf is a great example of illusion vs. reality. In reality Beowulf would have drowned from being underwater so long. I was impressed when Unferth gave Beowulf the sword,Hrunting. To me it seemed Unferth didn't like Beowulf. Unfortunately, the sword was worthless. Good thing asnother sword was available.
- Beowluf has truely accepted the responsibility of protector of the people. Even though he is old, he is battling a dragon. I too would probably fight the dragon if it burnt my house. However Beowulf is mortally hurt. I am proud of Wigfal for helping Beowulf fight the dragon. He realizes how important Beowulf has been and feels obligated to help.
-It was sad when Beowulf died. His funeral is similar to that of the Vikings. He will be forever remembered. It was fun reading Beowulf again. He is a good example of bravery, strength and courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment