Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

PART 1 AND 2
The story begins at Christmas time and the people are doing what they do best- eating and drinking. A tradition that is still alive today (family and friends gathering during the holidays). Women are becoming more prominent. The story speaks of Guenevere and the ladies attending the feast.
-When the Green Knight arrives I believe everyone is scared out of their minds. No one says a word. I wouldn't either if I saw this big green man riding a green horse.
-Who or what is the Green Knight? He crashes the party then demands to play a game. And what type of game does he suggest, have someone chop his head with his axe but keep in mind he gets to do it a year and a day later. No one in their right mind would play this game, but Sir Gawain accepts the challenge.
-What the hell!! Please pardon me. I am really confused. Sir Gawain cuts off the Green Knight's head but he doesn't die. The Green Knight picks up the head, talks and rides off in the sunset. This is another poem filled with illusins.
-Lots of detail is given to Sir Gawain's armor. I like the pentacle. The five points represents Sir Gawain's five senses, his five fingers, his fidelity, force and the five knightly virtues. Sir Gawain and the others in this story are very trusting. They will stay at anyone's house. Fortunately, the host is very nice.
-I take it the people of this time liked to play games. The host at the castle wants to play a game. And why are they kissing? They can seal a bet with a hand shake.
PART 3 AND 4
-Iwas so sure Sir Gawain and the host's wife was going to sleep together. She is very agressive. But Sir Gawain was a true gentleman. At the end of each game I bet the host was wondering who Sir Gawain was gettin the kisses from. He probably knew they was from his wife because the other lady was too ugly.
-A green girdle that protects you from harm. Okay! Good luck to Sir Gawain!!
- Sir Gawain finds the Green Chapel. I too would be terrified. I am still amazed someone would play this game. Luckily Sir Gawain survives to see another day, only getting a cut on his neck. I guess the green girdle works after all.
=Sir Gawain is really down about being untruthful. He sees the green girdle as a symbol of his sin. It was nice of Atthur and the court to decide to wear green belts. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was hard for me to get into at first. The first class discussion helped me to understand what was going on and made parts 3 and 4 easier to comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment