Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chaucer...The General Prologue

The picture are of the pilgrams on there way to Canterbury.
This is my first time ever reading any of Chaucer's writings and so far I am enjoying the reading. I like his style of writing. The middle English is also a little better to read than the Old English. In the General prolouge its nice to have both the middle English and then the translation. The writing is very unique and flows in rythm which makes it easier to read and enjoy the writing.

I really liked the General Prolgue in how it starts out in the spring and all the people will be going on a journey to Canterbury. Most were traveling for religious beliefs while others I think were just tag alongs. Lines 16-18 "Of Engelond to Caunterbury they wende, The holy blisful martir for to seke, that hem hath holpen, whan that they were seke." I find it funny how the Pilgrams are to seek religious way but the story starts out in a Tabard. These pilgrams are religious but yet drink and drink alot!! Who is the narrator. Is he/she a pilgrim. The entire story is read from there point of view and perspective. example lines 37-42 To telle yow al the condicioun of ech of hem, so it seemed to me, And whiche they weren, and of what degree, And eek in what array that they were inne; And at a knight than wol I first beginne."

As they story continues the Host is introduced and offers each pilgram to take part in this game, To tell 2 tales on the way to Canterbury and 2 on the return home, whoever acheives and tells there tales the best receives supper. I believe the Host did this to maybe help pass they time on there travel. From what I gather each pilgram will take turns and just tell it as he/she rides. Were these tales that were to be told 100% true or did they make them up? I enjoyed how the Prologue flowed in its writing; I can really imagine how each character is betrayed and when the host introduces the tales the story is able to transition right ino the Canterbury Tales.

Chaucer's stories are funny and not so serious;which gives a new style altogether

4 comments:

  1. The narrator of the general prologue is I believe to be Harry Bailey, the host, some believe that he was part of the pilgrimage. He adds little "punches" in every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well..maybe not I guess I am confuse who the narrator is too. Denise thinks it is Geoffrey Chaucer himself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After class on Wed. I was thinking the maybe it is Chaucer as the narrator. He is giving his view of all the people on the pilgrimage.but i'm not sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand now about this question of who the narrator is there is Chaucer the author and Chaucer the pilgrim, and Chaucer the pilgrim is telling the story that is why I was confused. Chaucer puts his views and opinions in his writing at time and that is how I believe he does so.

    ReplyDelete