Thursday, February 26, 2009

Whoso List to Hunt

So after I had read this poem, I have found a few pretty interesting things. So I can see I that one of the hunters turn out to be Henry VIII, who is chasing a female deer (Anne Boleyn). I guess he was pursuing her because of how he had alot of feelings for her and wanted to be with her. The thing about it was that he feels discouraged because he's the last of the other hunters and he feels that he could never catch up to her because she's too far away from him. It's like she's pulling away from him or sumthing. But I also think that she doesn't want him as well. On lines 5-8, I want to know why didn't he just stop right then and there when he felt that his mind was growing thin? I understand that the "female deer" kept leaving him and all, but I think that the hunt itself was probably wasted anyway, and I think he knew that. So through 10-15, I guess he's saying that his hunt was for nothing and during the hunt, he saw diamonds in letters around her neck stated, "Noli me tangere, for Caesar's I am." On the bottom of the book, it will tell you that it means, "Touch me not, for I am Caesar's." I think it means that she only belongs to Caesar and nobody else's. On the last line, it stated," And wild for to hold, though I seem tame." I think its saying that she may be calm and settled, but if you hold her to an extent, she may get crazy. Poor Henry.

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is very interesting how "Whoso list to hunt" is a poem that is metaphorically about a hunt by Henry VII who is hunting Anne Boleyn his like what number wife? It is true though, courtship or pursuement of a spouse is like hunting, makes sense? However, it is just in this case that it so happens to be a King.

    ReplyDelete