Friday, April 24, 2009

Utopia- Book 2

So far Utopia seems like an okay place to live. I like the idea of everyone sharing in the harvesting, and that a city doesn't try to intrude on another city's property. One idea Hythloday tried to get kings to accept. However when I read that the house doors couldn't be locked and that twenty-nine other people would be in that house I started to have second thoughts.
A six hour work schedule doesn't seem so bad but I bet they work they butts off in those hours. I am also happy to see that everyone has a job but are these jobs appointed or can they choose. I also like the fact that they do daily maintenance of their city.
Children aren't born into slavery. But what happens to them? Does Utopia have an orphanage or does each household take a child.
One thing I wonder about is why are all the people dressed alike. I'm sure that there are people who want to show their individual styles and tastes. However when everyone dresses alike there is less chance of jealousy and competition to be like someone else. "KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES"
I am surprised to read that euthanasia was promoted in Utopia. In the United States that's very controversial.
I'm not sure about Utopia's peek policy berfore you get married. Some say it's not the size it's how you use it. Maybe if we had chaporoned dates there would be less divorce.
Wow! Fighters with a conscience. In today's war everything gets destroyed. Especially if the US has anything to do with it.
I'm also surprised to read that there are many religions. Everything seems so orderly and unified, I expected one religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment