Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Beggar's Opera Act 1

I really enjoy reading this Act. I want to start off when Peachum put Bob Booty in the black-list. What is a black-list? I thought it was a type of bounty or something. He made a statement that once his money is gone, the ladies will hang him for the reward. I guess that's what happens to men who have or had "money." If you going to spend your life on the concept of being with women, women are going to expect them to buy them things. But once the monies gone, I guess they see that there's no use for them. So they kill them and take the things that's valuable. I see why alot of people say,"money don't grow on trees." Moving on, people are called whores, sluts, jades, and all that good stuff!!! It wasn't so good for Polly I can tell you that much....she had to end her love with Captain Macheath because of her two crazy ass parents. The Peachums was doing everything they can to have them separated, even if means making threats. The Peachums is asking her how is she going to handle herself, and of course hows she's going to take care of the Captain. I couldn't believe that Peachum threatened Polly to cut her throat if she were to play a fool and got married. This is what I don't get, why would he threaten her when he wasn't against his daughter's trifling and toying around?? (That was before she met the Captain). I mean even if she is married and she's entitled to the "money," its not like he's going to have anything to do with it. Peachum thought that in order to make things better, he told her to kill the Captain and take everything that he had. I felt bad for her because I thought that the parents were ganging up on her. Why wouldn't the Peachums want Polly to get married? Is it because of their reputation or is it because they know something about Captain Macheath that don't want it to crash the Peachums reputation? But it's sad how the act ended because Polly and the Captain had to part ways because of her sneaky parents and I thought that it wasn't fair. If she don't want to go with their stinkin' policies then she don't have to...but sad!!! sad!!!

1 comment:

  1. I dont know about you, but this reminds me of a Romeo and Juliet plot, because based on politicas and stature their parents did not want them to be together.

    ReplyDelete