Monday, April 13, 2009

Oroonoko

I thought it was pretty boring at first in the beginning of the story because it talked about Surinam, and its nature and how it the colony goes by its trades. On pages 2183 - 2184, it explains about how the natives are traded for much more things and how the people of Surinam live perfectly. They trade rare things for feathers and wreaths for their heads, necks, arms and legs. I like how they compared their type of nature to Adam and Eve's with the bead, the flowers, the apron, etc. To me, I thought they was trying make it look innocent. Then we get to the good and crazy part...you have Prince Oroonoko, who's known to be nice, innocent, charming, with good looks, and even speaks french and english!!! Now who wouldn't go for that!!! Now whats interesting, amusing, and scary is that this old man (who I believe is 100 or is pushin' 100 yrs old), beat the prince the see the beautiful Imoinda. He even gave her a veil. I understand why Oroonoko felt upset and mad. Him and Imoinda knew that by wearing that veil, she didn't had a choice in the matter but to spend the rest of her life with him. I think that Oroonoko felt betrayed as well because of course the old guy is his grandfather, and he didn't consider about the prince' feelings about her. But one thing that got to me was that Imoinda and the king of Coramentien had sex!!! Who would've thought that the king still had any fuel in his tank....anyways, I felt sad for Imoinda because she got put in for slavery. But I don't get it. She becomes the king's wife, she makes - out, and all of a sudden she's being sold. Was it that the king was just using her because of her looks or was it because of something else?!? Betrayal happens in this world because of different reasons in different situations. In this reading, betrayal happens because of the things that are going on. I didn't like the Captain because he was sneaky enough to invite him and his friends to his boat, but lied and took them captived. This gives me memories when the Somali pirates took the U.S. Captain...I also didn't like the Captain because of the promise that he made to Oroonoko for his freedom. I think he lied to him because of he wanted someone of his character to be sold. I guess someone like him is worth much more than everyone else that is being sold. Byam is also telling the prince the same thing about assuring his freedom, but telling him to surrender because of the whole escaping situation. I thought Oroonoko would've learned by now that if you're fooled once then you're going to be fooled again. On page 2223, was the beginning of the end. The reason why I said that was because of in the middle of the paragraph it states," he told her his design first of killing her, and then his enemies, and next himself, and the impossibility of escaping, and therefore he told her the necessity of dying, he found the heroic wife faster pleading for death than he was to propose it, when she found his fixed resolution, and on her knees besought him not to leave her a prey to his enemies." I think the hardest part for a reader to read is how one lover kills another, but in a way, it's all for the good. The way she accepted it and thanked him for everything takes great courage and alot of dignity. I believe that Oroonoko was the only person that saw her not only as a person, but as a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment