Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Absolom and Achitophel

Since I was not in class for this discussion. It greatly harmed me. I do not really understand what this poem is about. I understand the basics perhaps. I understand that Dryden takes events that are happening then and compares it to the Story of David. I cant help but comparing this story to our own economic and political crisis. But what are those exactly? Kimberly said that in class Dr. Kilgore handed out a handout that was an apology for his writings which undermines his responsibility to the text and she also stated that Dryden was paid by King Charles II to write this poem, so it can be used as propoganda! Why would Dryden write and apology for his writing if he did not have to fear anything and the point was to offend people? And he was supported by the King, but perhaps because the King just like the rich and royalty then would not take responsibility if Dryden would be punished? Maybe? Just like any hero Absalom went against his father, David. So my question is why? Was it because Achitophel wouldnt or because what Achitophel was saying bared truth? Or well did it? Absolom finally realizes that these must be true and realizes everything is really true. At the end David explained his love for Absolom even though he was deceitful. But instead of fighting he waited patiently for it to go on? correct? Dryden represents Charles II by David in the story, but at the end of the poem David tells everyone that he will overcome this with patience and be bigger than everyone else. Is this perhaps because Charles II wanted everyone to know this about him as well, hence paying Dryden to write this? I may be totally off on this, but I would like to know if I got the basic understanding of this. I thought this was a very difficult read. So what is the overall political stance he is making to obey and worship the King even if he has done things that are wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment