Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Good Morrow

I like "The Good Morrow" by John Donne. I find myself asking the same thing sometimes: " I wonder by my troth, what thou and I/ Did, till we loved? Were we not weaned till then, But sucked on country pleasures childishly" (lines 1-3)? This sonnet is a love story when the speaker,maybe Donne, asks himself what he accomplished or did before he met the love of his life. In the quote above he uses the word weaned meaning his love before this was immature or infant-like. Donne then explains he received this in a dream: "If ever any beauty I did see/ Which I desired, and got, twas but a dream of thee" (lines 5-7). In the second stanza, Donne is telling the waking souls good morning. Therefore, this new love is true and fits together, a new beginning or start at that. He says in the last stanza, "My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears/ And true plain hearts do in the faces rest/ Where can we find two better hemispheres" (lines 15-17). They are actually looking in eachothers eyes and perhaps they see each other, their love, and future? And because these two beings are equal and fit together then they sould live happily ever after in perfect harmony. If you go to this utube url then you can hear him read it in his language. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enyy1Ns2l0k

No comments:

Post a Comment