Thursday, April 2, 2009

The twelfth night

I really enjoyed reading the twelfth night. I felt that there was a lot of action throughout the whole play from beginning to end!! I think that if I had seen this play back when it was written I would have really enjoyed it, I could just imagine, guys dressing up as girls, acting like guys! It must have been so funny!!
The play starts out with Orsinio, telling everyone how in "love" he is with Olivia! But I think the analogy he uses for love is really wierd, he compares the feeling of love to food and does not care if he dies from "over eating". I just don't understand how he could make that comparision?? Actually, Orsinio is not the only person in the play, who is in "love" and makes a wierd comparision to the feeling they are having! After Olivia first meets Viola dressed up as Cesario, she compares love to catching the Plague. How can someone compare the feeling of love, to one of the deadliest viruses??
Then we have Antonio and Sir Toby, Sir Toby is Olivia's uncle who is always drunk, what kind of play would this be without adding a drunk guy in it. It brings more humor to the play, which probably was already humorous enough! Antonio is also trying to get Olivia, but during the play, feels that she would never go with a guy like him and wants to just go home! Sir Toby always convinces him to stay and try and win her over. Of course, Antonio is another drunk and kind of an idiot, so everyone already knows that Olivia would never go for him, she really doesn't even notice him throughout the play!
A couple times in class, when mentioning Viola, the words "Gold Digger" was said, I agree that she could be considered a gold digger. I'm not sure if she really was just going after Orsinio because he was the duke, or if it was because she wanted to make a name for herself! I mean at this point, she thinks she is the only one left from her family, her father died and she thinks her brother is dead out at sea! So she needs a new way to survive, she probably has nothing anymore.
Througout the play Feste the clown appears, and makes the play even funnier with his antics. Although he acts like a clown and pretends not to know anything, I think he really knows everything thats going on! I think he's the only one who figures out Ceserio is really a women, until she tells everyone at the end of the play. I think he's really smart and just has to play dumb, but is probably laughing at all of them, for how "stupid" they are all being! I think alot of the other characters are the actual fools, I mean, everyone in the play is going after love, just to have it & then you have Viola dressing up as a man to work for the duke, to make a name for herself. I don't know if she didn't expect all the trouble that came with her dressing up like a man, but what a disaster!! I mean, Olivia falls in love with her dressed as a man and she can't really do anything but tell her no...however that really doesn't stop Olivia! Then Viola falls in love with Orsino, but can't say anything because she is a guy in his eyes!!
The only person I feel bad for is Malivio, the joke that Maria & Sir Toby played on him was kind of mean. Then again, in the letter they really didn't put anything in the letter specifically saying that Olivia loved Malivio!! It was just his ego getting the best of him & making him believe that, the letter had to be about him, because he was so desirable & who wouldn't want him!!
I think the ending is awesome! I didn't think it would end that way at all. I thought something bad was going to happen [because most of the time Shakespeares writings all have different endings then what you were expecting or they end in the opposite way that the story was going towards]. I guess in a sense everyone is happy because almost everyone found love, which is what they were looking for in the beginning of the play! I kind of figured that Maria was going to end up with Sir Toby as I was reading it, because the joke they played on Malivio. I don't think Orsino really cared he didn't end up with Olivia, because I feel like he just wanted someone to love him, which Viola did. And then Olivia ended up with Sebastion, Viola's brother, which I guess works for her, because he probably looks close to what Viola did when she was dressed as a man! I guess everyone got what they were looking for, LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment