Friday, March 27, 2009

Song: To Celia

Song: To Celia
So Wednesday in class, we heard a couple of recordings of the song. One was from Ben Jonson, another recording from Johny Cash, and a video from a duke special. Not to be off topic or anything but there's a huge difference of how's the song is being sung. Johnny Cash sung the song with a western tone of voice, to me, Ben Jonson sung the song like in an opera tone. Anyways, there was a discussion about tthe song and how it has a meaning. Dr. K explained that when you sing it, it makes you want to come together and enjoy life. I had a different thought when I had first read it. I thought it was all about "Celia" and getting her attention since the song is to her. On line 1-2 it says,” Drink to me only with thine eyes, And I will pledge with mine;"I referred to that as saying that he wanted her to look straight through his eyes and he will assure her to do the same. It's like saying,” Don’t stop staring into my eyes." Reading and understand this can make you wonder about what's going on.

4 comments:

  1. I agree I also believe that it was a sort of drunkeness from love and look into his eyes reminded me of if you look into your lovers eyes you see a happy ending, family, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder...just a thought:if a guy would to sing that same song to anyone of y'all, would y'all have that same effect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah my favorite was definitely from Johnny Cash and possibly that is because his voice is so soothing and calm. And it actually bares truth more than the others for some reason. It just fits with the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. His singing gives a better understanding as well.

    ReplyDelete