Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Book 1 of Utopia/ideas and debates

I have to admit when I first began reading this it was quite boring. After discussing it in class and getting a better view and understanding of Utopia I'm beginning to like it more. This is totally different from what we have been reading or anything I have read it takes a while to enjoy it.


Utopia is a fictional place.Book 1 is basically a preface before going into Book 2. It gives you a sense of the characters and views. More so I feel the entire first book is each persons ideas and then they go through many debates such as theft and being king then they discuss back and forth over who's ideas are right or wrong.
Thomas More is the one meeting all of the men. Peter Giles he considers to be his good friend and can trust him. More idolizes Rapheal and sees him as a very wise and witty man. He is very intrigued and amazed at everything he has to say. Rapheal being the man who lived in Utopia and tells them what the lifestyle is like there. I fell that Raphaeal's main goal is to spread the word of this new World Utopia and introduce its laws, way of life and government to all he can.
As for Peter Giles on page 527 he tells Rapheal "that I'm surprised you don't enter some king's service; for I don't know of a single prince who wouldnt be eager to employ you."
I have to agree how Rapheal replies of how he is concerned more about his self and his self pride that what others think of him. For if Rapheal were to enter a King's service and put forth his ideas more than likely his ideas would just be taken and he would receive no credit for his actions.
Book 1 was a little slow but it gave you a good awareness of each person so you have a better understanding when you read book 2

No comments:

Post a Comment