Monday, March 2, 2009

Farewell, Love

After reading some of Thomas Wyatt's poem's, this poem is by my favorite. I'm still getting use to reading and understanding the sonnets as well. After reading this poem, I noticed that this speaker have been going through hard times with love. I think that he wants to take himself away from everything that was brought at him. That's why the statement was made on line 2," Thy baited hooks, shall tangle me no more." Anyway, I feel that he doesn't want to put up with love anymore because how he was treated. On line 9, it says,"Therefore farewell, go trougble younger hearts,
And in me claim no more authority."
Did he felt insecure about himself? To me, it looked like the speaker is making it seem like he sees himself too old, and feels that love has turn against him. (in other words....rejection!!!). He also feels that he's being used by love and wants no part of it. Poor guy. It's good that love can lead you to great things, but it can also hurt you at the process. On lines 13-14, it says,"For hitherto though I have lost all my time,
Me lusteth no longer rotten boughs."
It took me a few minutes to understand it, but I'm guessing that he was making attempts to make love work, but after having love treating him wrong, he decided to give up.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Love has darts, too! (Think Cupid with the bow and arrow!) And it's the boughs are rotten... what do you make of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very good way of putting it...I think that once a person gets struck with a love arrow, he/she falls in love. I want to guess about the boughs that are rotten: I want to say that he doesn't have the passion to climb the rotten trees that would lead to her heart anymore. That's my saying on it...

    ReplyDelete