Sunday, March 1, 2009

My Galley

I really don't get this poem!!! I understand that it's a sonnet and all, but to me its confusing. Ok...so I'm guessing that this lover is all wth his lover so much that he forgets about everything else. So everybody that are on the ship are going through rocky areas in the sea to get where they are going, but I don't think that the lover knew about that because of the fact that he's mostly with this lover of his and that's all he thinks about. He also sees his lord as his enemy. My question is does him and the lord had something against each other for him to call him his enemy? On line 7, it says," An endless wind oath tear the sail apace." I'm wondering if it meant that the winds had certain feelings that made certain effects towards the sailing? I really don't understand lines 12-14. I want to know if the stars that he was talking about that was giving him pain was his lover, or by somebody else?

1 comment:

  1. My galley chargèd with forgetfulness
    Thorough sharp seas, in winter nights doth pass
    Tween rock and rock; and eke mine enemy, alas,
    That is my lord, steereth with cruelness,
    And every oar a thought in readiness,
    As though that death were light in such a case.
    An endless wind doth tear the sail apace
    Of forcèd sighs and trusty fearfulness.
    A rain of tears, a cloud of dark disdain,
    Hath done the wearied cords great hinderance;
    Wreathèd with error and eke with ignorance.
    The stars be hid that led me to this pain.
    Drownèd is reason that should me consort,
    And I remain despairing of the port.

    Denise, you're getting this, really. Wyatt isn't too clear -- and that's part of the point -- he's not sure what's causing him trouble: the "stars be hid" -- if you're on a ship, you're going to figure out where you are by looking at the stars. Everything in these poems add up to a huge metaphor: in the sonnet, it's called a "conceit." So the "wind" is the thing that helps a ship move but also can blow it apart. Wind is the lover's breath?

    ReplyDelete