Monday, January 26, 2009

The Wife's Lament

I have finished this poem, “The Wife’s Lament,” and I thought of it as horrifying and crazy. The speaker made a lot of crucial details in this poem that got me at awe. The poem is about a woman who's married to a nobleman that got her exiled (well not exactly) because of a feud. Her husband had gone away across the storm - tossed sea, away from his people, while the woman was to find shelter. My question is why didn't he help her provide with any decent shelter? At the time, I thought that the reason why he lefted was because he was going away for battle and that he knew that he wasn't coming back, or that he was going to leave her and the people for good. On the fourth paragraph of the poem, the speaker is explaining how she was told to live in a cave under an oak tree. But at the same time, she's feeling overtaken with the desire to go be him again. Desires like these can be everlasting, but can hurt you at the same time. It seems to me that she wouldn't be so reckless for the person she loves if she had felt that she was forced to live at a place where she wouldn't be happy. What's interesting about this poem is that the husband's wife whose been forced to live in a bad - natured shelter, knows that it's her husband's fault for hurting her feelings, and yet she still loves him and longs for him. I was trying to give you an idea that the husband's kinsman is the blame for their separation; not the husband himself. But throughout the whole poem, the wife is grieving for the separation away from her husband, and explaining about her terrifying experiences. During my reading, I was wondering and imagining what her life was like when she was with her husband and getting into a feud.

1 comment:

  1. I agree... it would be interesting to know what the couple's life was like before he left. It does sound like a troubled -- or unhealthy relationship.

    ReplyDelete