Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hey everyone. I just finished reading Beowulf, I've never read this before, so I was interested in the story since it was written so long ago. I got a little confused in some parts of the story, but all in all I really enjoyed this writing.
It seems like this is a very religious story, since the author referred to God many times. Beowulf seemed to be a big believer in God, he thanked God many times through out the story, and refereed to God as the Almighty Power many times. I especially liked how Beowulf spoke of God as the decider of his faith, and the only person who really decided how the fights would end. Starting on line 1656, Beowulf is speeking, and this is right after he defeated Grendel's mother, he says, "It was a hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal." I really like this quote, because at this time, he has defeated two creatures, Grendel and Grendel's mother, and while most people would become cocky and self absurbent, he did not. He still is reffering to God as the person that helped him win, and God is the reason why he is still alive at that moment.
It seems to me that the author of this story believed in God, or good (at least that's what I got from the story). I felt like Grendel and his mother represented evil, while Beowulf portrayed the good, and good always defeated evil in this story.



No comments:

Post a Comment