Sunday, January 25, 2009

Beowulf: pgs 29-69

So I just finished reading the assigned reading in Beowulf (FYI I have never read this epic or seen the movie). I found this unknown author to be very creative, spiritual, and mythological. As the book explains the history, they say that "now widely believed" the author is Christian (31). I do not see how this could be controversial based on "Beowulf" this epic is definitely about God, following God, respecting God, and believing in Judgment Day. I am confused on the fact that Grendel, the devilish monster, who is "malignant by nature," can be killed by Beowulf' the son of Ecgtheow's strong, forceful handgrip? Or the fact that Grendel can not be killed by weapons but his mom can? In lines 801and 802 state, "that no blade on earth, no blacksmith's art could ever damage their demon opponent" (50). With this said: why would Beowulf be able to decapitate Grendel's mother; when they both come from the same ghost and demon family? I absolutely love this poem so far; "Beowulf" reminds me of Homer's epic "The Iliad" I compare Beowulf to Achilles, the warrior who can not be defeated, who seems untouchable. Why did the author base this story on "preternatural evil, which inhabits the dangerous and demonic space surrounding human society" (31)? I feel that the author is approaching the ruling of Kings and the importance of kinship at that time in history.
This link below is a website that I found with a picture of Grendel. For some reason I am very curious about the way Grendel looks. I imagine him to be extremely enormous, very stong, and really ugly. In the movie(2007) (the second link), Grendel is portrayed how I imagine: deformed.

http://www.lone-star.net/literature/beowulf/grendel.gif
http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2007_Beowulf/2007_beowulf_013.jpg

4 comments:

  1. This is my first time reading the epic "Beowulf" as well. it is very intriguing and i'll be posting my thoughts later. Once i finish reading I believe I will watch the movie and see how it follows the poem. I was curious as well of how Grendel would look. My imaginiation goes so far but seeing someone depict a picture lets my imagination stretch even more. i wasnt able to open your second link...could just be my computer

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason my computer was really slow opening the second link as well. However, if you go on google and search Grendel or go to the 2007 movie "Beowulf" the images are equally gruesome and scary of this monster, Grendel. I wanted to copy and paste a picture of Grendel on here but it would not let me :(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dont believe it will let you copy and paste. but if you save the picture first then open a new post you can upload the picture.. thats how I uploaded mine..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it weird we want to see pictures of our monsters!?

    ReplyDelete