Monday, January 26, 2009

Beaowulf 1st part....

This is my first time reading the epic poem Beowulf and wow, so far it has kept my attention and kept me reading and wondering what will happen next. When I first starting reading I was so confused with all the names. I had to go back and reread to make sure I was straight on which character was which. I'm still a little confused on the narration of the poem. Is the entire poem from Beowulf's perspective or are there others talking as well? Old English writing is very different from the material I read today. So far I am enjoying the history and creativity of this era.
I am so fascinated at how the story is Mythical but has a religious view. I love how the writer contributes God's will into the story. Lines 100-114 we see a story from the bible about Cain and Abel. I am a christian and my values of my daily living are based around putting God first in all that I do. In the poem it states in Line 1055 "God's will prevails" In the battle between Beowulf and Grendel I see as a fight of Good vs. Evil. Beowulf puts all his faith in trusting God and is able to overpower and kill Grendel. Grendel is a furious, monstrous Demon such as the Devil who can not be beaten by a kind-hearted man like Beowulf.
I find Beowulf's character very intriguing; He comes to Hrothgar, willing to lend a helping hand and is so humble. Line 676 Beowulf is called "That prince of Goodness" he is grateful, fearless, and defeat less. Beowulf Reminds me of a Superhero; but yet is unique in his own way.
I'm still trying to understand lines 1070-155 from my understanding its another poem relating Beowulf's battle with the attack in Friesland?
Well thats all for now until I finish reading..

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff.

    I've been thinking about 1070-1155 (the Friesland story) since you all were asking about it yesterday: I'll have more to say it in class. But it is strange that you have this really sad, tragic song sung during a celebratory feast. Unless we are missing the point.

    I think the key is looking at what Wealhtheow says AFTER the song about everyone getting along.

    Still thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. To me it is a good thing that the author used God in the poem because Beowulf did put alot of trust in Him and believed in Him defeat Grendel. When it comes down to good vs. evil, good will always conquer.

    ReplyDelete