Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Beowolf Pt. 1: ~The Beginning - The Heorot is Attacked~

Beowulf is about a courageous survivor, who stood up against a filthy, mean, demon (Grendel) to protect his people, and to seek revenge for the murders Grendel committed. In the beginning, it explained how the lord has to take care of his thanes and to give them a bonus for their courageous acts in return for having a warrior to defend him and fighting in his wars. To me, I can probably say it's like equivalent exchange, where if one person does something for you, you have to owe him/her back with a price. I really don't know why Hrothgar had needed to put a "death-price" for killing Grendel. If it means sacrificng you own life or someone else', then that's totally crazy!!! But if it has something to do with a code of honor, then I can understand that.
~Heorot is Attacked~
The people noticed that a demon came from the depths of hell. Grendel's the name and conquering is its game (well plus killing lol). When Grendel showed up, the people were petrified and I know as much that they were frightened like they were about to pee in their pants. So while the people started to run, the beast took 30 men from their resting place and did whatever he want with them in his den. That's the harshest thing you can do is take 30 dead people from the grave and do whatever you like. If I had the guts to do that, God the Almighty would have to strike me down 10,000 times. I felt so bad for the prince on lines 128 - 144 because he was sitting in his throne powerless and unable to help his guards, and the fact that there was nothing else that he could've done. The one thing I didn't get was on line 131. It stated that he was humiliated and by the loss of his guard(s). To me, I feel that it might be saying that he was embarrassed that they didn't put much effort into fighting the demon. If that's so, why didn’t' the prince got up and did anything? I understand that princes make commands and everything, but now that the guards have been defeated, I believe that he should do something for his people. Ever since the fight, it been nothing but hell since Grendel arrived, and the thing about it was that no Dane couldn't stop him.

No comments:

Post a Comment