Friday, January 30, 2009

Sir Gawain Part 1 and 2


Hey group! FIrst of all, I have a question about the poem in gerneal: What is the relation between King Arthur and the Arthurian Romantic period and the Christian and Catholic? (mass) faith and fellowship of the late 14th century? Now, onto the poem, I just read Part I and II of "Sir Gawain and The Green Knight" I found this poem somewhat gothic with the use of the supernatural, green knight. For instance, after Gawain decapitaes the knight "with a roisterous rush he flings around the reins,/Hurtles out at the hall-door, his head in his hand" (171 lines 457-458). I find this very surprising; a human knight would not be able to ride out of there alive, let alone, headless.
This green star, the pentangle, which appears on Gawain's armor signifies the five virtues, five fingers, and five senses. However, what does it mean by "never to fail by his five fingers?" (175 line 641). I do not quite understand. Is it to fight the Green Knight? This pentagon I believe reminds Gawain the five most important beliefs in his life. Such as loyalty, honesty, generosity, chastity, and piety. I also find the change of the seasons very symbolic at the beginning of Part II and the fact that the poets descriptive change of the seasons relates to the changes of Gawain's state of mind: "After Christmas there came the cold cheer of Lent, The keen cold lessens, the low clouds lift/ Fresh falls the rain in fostering showers/ On the face of the fields; flowers appear" (172 lines 502, 505-507). I have not read the rest of the poem, but I wonder what the game signifies in society and character: A jokester? I also wonder if gawain is going to die and if so at least he died in respect for his uncle, King Arthur. I find this poem very interesting and dramatic; it definitely keeps me wondering what is going to happen next. There are a lot of hidden religious meanings in this text which I do not understand, but I recognize that the religious context is there. I also want to comment on the color of the knight-Green. I believe green signifies nature, wealth, and envy, but is that true in this case?


No comments:

Post a Comment